Monday, October 4, 2010

Bianchi goes pink!

In case you didn't know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Also, the love of health, wellness and a 125 year old bike company can bring people together who are half a country away.

Last Friday was Day 1 of the 2010 Young Survival Coalition/Tour de Pink p/b Hershey's Bliss. I've been involved with the YSCs Tour de Pink since 2006. I've known ladies in my life who have been affected by breast cancer; so it was a natural progression for me to become involved with this charity ride.

200 people gathered in Hershey, Pa and rode 220 miles, raised $850k for the YSC and became a lot more aware of the importance for women to have regular check-ups on their bodies. Among the 200 people riding was the Oklahoma based Team PG-13 graphics lead by Eldon Harding. I joined this team for the event as Eldon and I have become really close over the past 4 years. A love for the Tour de Pink and Bianchi has keep Eldon and me connected...and a little help from the world of Facebook too.

Eldon and I met on the 2006 Tour de Pink. The cyclists eat dinner with strangers the first night and are eating with friends by the end of the four day excursion. Eldon was sitting at my table and we got to talking about different bikes we've owned. I was wearing my Bianchi jacket and working at a Bianchi dealer at the time. Eldon saw my jacket and starting talking about his 2007 Cross Concept cyclo cross bike and how much he loves it. More talking and more Tour de Pinks, Eldon and I continued the Bianchi conversation to the point where the shop he works at picked up the brand and started supplying their road team with 1885 frames.



Above is Eldon's 2009 1885, SRAM Force equipped bike at the start of the 2010 Tour de Pink. Eldon owns a graphics company and is very handy with vinyl decals as you can see.



Hershey Foods donated $300k to the YSC.



It was a chilly day so I wore the Gran Fondo vest without question.



(l-r)Warren, Trent and Eldon.



The skies were looking gloomy. The rain did hold off for the day as we rode 90 miles towards King of Prussia, PA.



My ear and Eldon's rear.




Trent discovered that Vittoria Evo Corsa CX tires do not make for a good training tire/charity ride rubber.



Smiles and miles as the flat repair continued on the shoulder of the road.




(l-r) Warren, Eldon and me at rest stop number 2/lunch stop. Fuel provided by Subway Subs.

During the 90 miles I ate 3 gel packs, 3 Clif Bars, 6 bottles, 6 inch Subway Sub(veggie), bag of chips(craving salt!), bottle of apple juice.

90 miles/16mph avg @ 5K elevation.


Valley Forge National Park was part of the ending route on Day 1. I shot this while riding, camera over the shoulder, bam! Tons of history here.



The ride ended in King of Prussia, PA. I love this mural which was made by some of the TdP's kiddos.


In the lobby was a 16 year old Bianchi Eros. Still in stock build form with a Campy Eros groupo. The owner was very excited to tell me about the love for her bike. (She told me her speech before I told her I worked for Bianchi.) An honest testimony and an honest love affair.

I would like to give a big thanks to all who donated to this ride on my behalf, the riders of the 2010 TdP, Hershey Foods, and the YSC.

No comments: