Wednesday, February 3, 2010

In memory of Il Pirata'.

This month marks the anniversary death of one of my favorite climbers in the sport of cycling; Marco Pantani. I can say that I became a fan of Pantani through coverage of the Tour and the fact that many a cyclist that follow racing will relate to an athlete that best mirrors their skill preference while on the bike. I've been more of a climber than a sprinter so the relation was easy.



This video is courtesy of the
Marco Pantani Foundation website. I love watching his acceleration on climbs while in the drops. Legend has it, Marco rode a 180mm crank arm length and a 54/44t ring combo. No high cadence spin here, just good ole' fashion leverage and leg mashing. 'Nuff said.
-------------------------------------------------

wrm

No comments: