Monday, July 12, 2010

Shop rides, get out on one!

Last Thursday, on my way home from the VA/MD territory, I parked the E at Simplicity Cycles. This evening was their Thursday Night Shop Ride.


Seven of us rolled out at 5:45pm and headed north for some tempo on the hills. I didn't start the data acquisition via iPhone App Cyclemeter; until 6pm. Oops!

Ride map click here.

Started: Jul 8, 2010 6:01:17 PM
Ride Time: 1:22:47
Stopped Time: 0:00
Distance: 23.21 miles
Average: 16.82 miles/hr
Fastest Speed: 49.46 miles/hr
Climb: 679 feet
Calories: 1250



I'm not going to whine about being an out_of_shape sales rep...but this was the fastest and hardest I've climbed all year. Averaging close 15mph for 2 miles over 400' of elevation. I spun most of it in the big ring, sure why not, right? It was a good pain...

The descent off the back of the mountain was like dropping off the Empire State Building. Reaching almost 50mph on sub-par Hanover, Pa roads, I forgot I was on a mostly aluminum framed road bike. The carbon seat stays of my 1885 did a great job of keeping the bike planted on the road, even through the high speed sweeping turns. The only thing that I'm yearning for right now is a set of the Alex Tubeless wheels and Hutchinson Fusion2 Ultra tubeless tires. I want to feel what 90psi in a tubeless tire is like on a section of road like this one. More grip, even more supple ride? I better make a phone call to my connections soon.

Kirk at Simplicity Cycles has the right idea. This is his first year of business and is working hard at developing his community involvement within cycling. Shop rides are a fabulous idea when done correctly. His customers will make new friends in which to ride with, learn how to properly handle a road bike and navigate the local roads.

I know I'm going to do my best to have my bike and a fresh kit with me if I'm in the area every Thursday!

No comments: